Assignment for 1/14
Teach yourself three simple melodies entirely by ear and be ready to perform them for the class. Choose songs you know well and can sing. Work through this process:
- Imagine the melody in your musical imagination
- Slowly and accurately sing the melody
- Figure out the melody on your instrument through trial and error
- Practice the melody until it's performance ready
- Vary and personalize the melody
- Figure out what key your song is in and write down the scale degrees.
Ex: When the Saints Go Marching In
1 3 4 5, 1 3 4 5, 1 3 4 5 3 1 3 2, etc. . .